Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Portfolio recap

Sept 4 was a good trading day. I watched my TSL call go up to 12.90, approximately a 75% gain in one week. I made three trades today in my quest to become more liquid before some big economic news... I sold 100 shares of my yamana gold for a small 4% gain in a month...and I sold YGE for an 11% gain in a month. Not great, better than money market though and now I have cash on hand for another trade. I bought a OCT 07 @ 60 call for OSK...I have a feeling they are about to breakout. The stock has been very stagnant since I have bought it, but I'm going on a hunch here. I'm looking to sell the call on any good news.



Now that I have cash on hand, not quite sure what to buy. Everything looks expensive now, although P/E is still less than the high we had in the market at 14000. I'm looking into high dividend, blue chip stocks like BAC. Although today is their ex dividend date, I may wait until record date to buy since I won't get the dividend anyway. I'm also looking at JCP and possibly a healthcare company.



The two stocks I was looking at last week for a quick options score on earnings were ALTR and even though I didn't mention it, JCG (J. Crew Group). Although I'm not sure where the calls were for JCG I'm sure they will beat earnings. I think I was going out on a limb and for a similar price to ALTR I could have got a $55 call for around $20. Now the ALTR calls, SEPT 07 @ 25 that I could have bought for .25 a contract are now going for .40 and JCG is going for 1.60...maybe JCG wasn't that low before. Anyways, both come out with earnings today so let's see if we can be profitable buying options the week before. If this can work I may start buyin 10 contracts, selling 5 the day before the earnings statement and seeing how the earnings come out. Also check back later today for next weeks earnings report on who I think will be earnings next week.

No comments: