Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Oil yesterday

I had to correct my thinking from yesterday. Although long term I remain bullish on oil and its increasing price, I have to say oil increased so much yesterday due to expiration of oil options and short covering in them. that drove prices up nearly $15. Today we are back where we were yesterday and declining. Unfortunately, I got freaked yesterday and sold half of my puts. I lost roughly $60 bucks on them...big whoop but if I had held on for today I'd be well in the plus. I luckily have 10 puts left.

I used my remaining money to open 2 new postions. I am a long term believer in gold as well, as I believe gold will be a hedge against a falling market or the amount of money being injected into the system will result in inflation. Both are wins for gold. I also opened up a position in Apple and GS. I bought a 200 Jan 10 Call for GS and five 200 Jan 09 calls for AAPL. I think GS is well positioned and has solid income and growth. Apple has $23 per share of cash on hand, roughly 20 billion!! I believe, although this is contrary to what Jobs usually does, that Apple will use some of this money to buy back stock. At current levels I see Apple as a buy, and if it declines further I plan to purchase 5 more calls. I just feel at these levels Apple and Goldman are both attractive.

No comments: